Wednesday 30 January 2013

Crochet Mittens



 A few notes before we begin, I made this mitt to perfectly fit my hand. I think that I have a somewhat average hand, but make sure that you are trying it on the entire time that you are working on it, to make sure that it works for your hand. You can click on the pictures to enlarge them. I would suggest you read through the whole pattern, and learn all of the stitches before you begin. I used a 5.00m hook and average yarn(in other words, I have no idea what I used :).



Making the Cuff
1.      Chain 5.5 inches, for me that was 25 stitches
2.      Single crochet into each back bump/butt
3.      Single crochet in rows into the back loop of each stitch, chain 1 at the end of each row

4.      Do 30 rows, making sure to enter only the back loop of the stitch
5.      When finished that, slip stitch into the first stitches of the first row to connect them. You should now have a cylinder of ribbing. This is your cuff.




Body of the Mitten
1.      Half double crochet(hdc) 35 stitches along the top of your cuff
2.      Chain 1, 2 single crochet(sc) stitches into the next stitch
3.      Sc 16, 2 sc into next stitch, 1 sc in to each of the next stitches, slip stitch into the first.
4.      Chain 2, hdc into every stitch, slip stitch into the first.
5.      Chain 1, 2 sc into next stitch, 1 sc into every next stitch, slip stitch into the first.
6.      Chain 2, hdc into every stitch, slip stitch into the first.
7.      Chain 1 sc into every stitch, slip stitch into the first.
8.      Chain 2, hdc into every stitch, slip stitch into the first.
9.      Skip 10 stitches, sc into the 11th and around. Slip stitch into the first.
10.  Repeat steps 6, then 7, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 7
11.  Chain 2, hdc half way and skip 1, finish round, slip stitch into the first.
12.  Chain 1, sc half way and skip 1, finish round, slip stitch into the first.
13.  Chain 2, hdc into 1 stitch skip 1, hdc half way and skip 1, finish round, slip stitch into the first.
14.  Chain 1, sc into 1 stitch skip 1, sc half way and skip 1, finish round, slip stitch into the first.
15.  Repeat step 13 then 14
16.  Chain 2, hdc into 1 stitch skip 1, hdc half way and skip 1, hdc 1, skip 1 round, hdc around to the second last stitch, skip the last stitch and slip stitch in to the first
17.  Repeat step 16 but with sc instead of hdc
18.  Fasten off and thread the remaining thread through the stitches and pull tight, fasten that off.
 


Making the Thumb
  1. Attach yarn with sc to the thumb and finish round in sc, slip stitch into the first.
  2. Chain 2, hdc around, slip stitch into the first.
  3. Chain 1, sc around, slip stitch into the first.
  4. Repeat step 2, then 3, 2 then 2
  5. Finish the thumb off the same way you did the mitt.

Let me know how yours turned out!!

This is a free pattern, but please do not re-post it as your own. You may make and sell this product, but please mention that you found it here. Pictures taken and owned by me :)


4 comments:

  1. love your work very much
    this is my blog if you like it please join and thanks
    http://doniaelcrocheh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding that when I start to "seem up" the top of the mitt, I end up with a huge overhang! My hands are about the same size as yours, and the pattern is huge for me! Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess,
      I have a little bit of overhang on mine as well, I would suggest going back a few rows, and removing a few of them. Where it says to repeat rows 7 and 6, maybe take some of those off. And I am planing on coming up with a more improved pattern with some of the things I have learned since I made this one, so stay tuned! Hope this helps!
      Hannah

      Delete
  3. Just found this pattern.. LOVE it ! What does it mean in row 11 ? Are we decreasing starting there ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete